Monday, January 4, 2010

Genesis

I am on day 4 of reading the Bible in 90 days. I just completed the book of Genesis. It has been awhile since I have read Genesis straight through. Much of Genesis is familiar to me; creation, Noah, the Tower of Babel, Abraham, Issac, Jacob, and Joseph, but there was much that grabbed my attention this time. Genesis is so rich with history, especially just in the first 11 chapters. This year for school, Emma and I have been studying early civilizations. I haven't been interested in this before, but now that I am teaching it to my daughter it has become much more important. How the secular world (and even many christians) teach history is very different than what the Bible says. Secular culture just leaves the Bible out. It dates and defines history outside the parameters of the Bible. Most historical accounts are not consistent with a literal 7 day creation and don't fit with what the Bible tells us about the Flood and the Tower of Babel. But the Bible is Truth and the framework for our history is found within it. I believe we can take the Bible and use it as a foundation for history and civilization. What is more, despite what secular historians claim, the body of evidence in favor of a Biblical Earth history is growing. Phil is fascinated by Genesis and he has focused a lot of his Biblical study on its amazing historical content. For example, the Flood provides such an incredible explanation for the billions of dead things we find buried in rock layers laid down by water all over the Earth [Geology]. The ice ages which followed the Flood exlain the biological diversity within species (as opposed to evolution) as well as their global distribution which we observe today [Biology]. And Babel explains the origins of differing human languages and the founding of early civilizations [Anthropology]. It may not seem important for such a young age (1st grade), but it is. What our children learn at this young age is molding their worldview; what they will come to believe about God, life, and humanity. They need to know from the beginning that the Bible is God's Word, it is Truth and it can be trusted.

God is already teaching me lots, just within the first book, can't wait to see whats in store for me as I keep reading!

No comments: